- 2-1 Gallon Ball mason Jar
- 1 Can Of Red Spray Paint
- 1 Can Of Black Spray Paint
- 1 Can Of Clear Glass Spray Paint
- Painters Tape
- Paper Towels (or something similar)
- 1 Small Bottle of White Multi-Purpose Craft Paint
- 1 Round Sponge (about 1 – 1 1/2 inches in diameter)
- Super Glue
- 1 White Foam Sheet
- 1 Red Foam Sheet
- 2 Black Foam Sheets
- 1 Small Cookie Cutter/Shot Glass
- 1 Large Cookie Cutter/Other round item
Using the photo above as a guide, from top to bottom, left to right. These are the steps to make your own Mickey & Minnie Mason Jars.
MICKEY MOUSE MASON JAR INSTRUCTIONS
- Evenly place a strip of painters tape around the centre of one of the mason jars, press down firmly so it makes contact with the glass. Flip the jar upside down and use another piece of tape and paper towels to cover the top portion of the jar.
- Spray an even coat of red paint on the bottom half of the mason jar. Spray the lid with an even coat of the black paint. Leave to dry for the amount of time required (it should say on the paint can)
- Once the paint has fully dried and hardened, repeat step 1 on the top half of the jar and spray with an even coat of black paint on the top half of the jar. Leave this to dry for the time stated on the spray can.
- Use the small cookie cutter, shot glass or any other round object to trace round. Putting the object on the white foam board trace two circles and cut them out. If you are using sticky back foam remove the backing paper, if not apply the glue onto the white foam board and stick to the black part of the mason jar, hold in place for 30 seconds
- Spray the jar and lid with an even coat of clear finishing spray paint and leave this to dry for the time stated on the spray can.
- Using the large cookie cutter or other round object trace two circles on the black foam board, cut out each circle. Place both circles on top of each other with the paper backing touching. Cut a slightly narrow wedge into the circles (refer to the above photo). Measure them up by them up against the lid to see how well they will fit.
- Apply the super glue to the wedge portion of the black foam circle and place it on the centre of the lid, holding it firmly for 30 seconds. Repeat this for the second foam circle and place this directly across from the first one.
MINNIE MOUSE MASON JAR INSTRUCTIONS
- Flip the jar upside down and spray an even coat of red paint to the entire jar. Spray the lid with an even coat of the black paint. Leave to dry for the amount of time required (it should say on the paint can)
- Dip a large round sponge brush (about 1 inch – 1 1/2 inch diameter) in the white craft paint and paint random white dots onto the entire mason jar. Allow the jar to dry for the time stated on the spray can.
- Spray the jar and lid with an even coat of clear finishing spray paint and leave to dry for the amount of time required (it should say on the paint can)
- Repeat the process for the ears as per the instructions for the Mickey Mouse jar.
- The Minnie Mouse bow can be a little tricky. I hand drew two flat bottomed hearts with a circle in the centre on the red foam board. Cut the bow out with scissors and use a small round sponge brush and white craft paint to apply random white dots to the bow. Leave to dry completely before gluing the bow to the ears and lid.
And that is it! These jars are pretty easy to make and give you a fun decoration for your home. Its an easy way to save money too. You could even super glue the lid on so your not tempted to take money out of it!
Hope you enjoyed reading this blog.
All my love Kimberley x